View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 12:04 AM

Default Re: % of time to see the flop

[ QUOTE ]

Last night I played at Pardise for the first time. I only played for an hour and a half I think and when I checked my stats they showed me seeing the flop 40% of the time.
I knew I was seeing more than normal but that seemed high. So if I subtract the BB I'm still high but not as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your percentage may be high, but after only an hour and a half it's tough to say. Personally, in a full game, I see 26-27% of the flops over the long term. I'm still trying to tighten up a bit.

However, I do have those nights where the cards are running good, and can be in the 30-35% range. I've also had nights where I'm below 20%. I even had one night where I saw 8% after three hours (very loose game, and very few big blinds that were limped around to me -- but still a hard percentage to attain).

I guess what I'm saying is that statistics as to the number of hands played really doesn't mean very much over 1 or even a few sessions. So, keep with it and keep tracking things.

Otherwise, if you follow the charts in either Ed Miller's book or Lee Jones' you'll be ok. If you want a system that's REALLY easy to memorize, type Hutchinson into google. This system is generally a bit tighter than Jones. It's easy to memorize, and easy to adapt.

It's not perfect -- though I found that the differences between the books were that Hutchinson eliminates some of the drawing hands that beginners often misplay. As you get more comfortable, you can add these, or move on to the charts.