View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: When to go all in b4 flop or flop push

It sounds like a way to just get all in w/ a strong hand without going all in preflop.

I sometimes get testy and pull this one on people that call and chase too much. It usually works.
With a hand like AK, you really want a shot at all 5 cards and not give up if you miss the flop... You probably know that.

I try to gauge going all in based on whether making a decent raise will put me in an annoying position. If a decent raise takes up a large portion of your chipstack (probably more than 25 percent), I prefer going all in. If I don't feel that I have proper fold equity by going less than all in, I'd also go all in. I try to do a sliding scale of sorts with an M over 5 with a stronger trend toward all in w/ an M closer to 5. I'm not very mechanical about it, I think you just have to think about what you're trying to achieve and act accordingly.

If you're going to see a flop, you probably want to react to it in most cases. Otherwise, why bother seeing the flop and give an opponent a chance to outdraw you?

I don't know about others of you, but every time I've been outflopped when I got myself committed to a hand, I've been pretty unhappy so I generally act to prevent that occurring. Make the donks make a big mistake to beat you.