View Single Post
Old 03-10-2002, 02:49 AM

Default Re: commerce 30-60 question for andy

I can't speak for the games at night as I rarely play at night. I know the 20 games do indeed resemble a yellow blizzard. Congrats on the big win; I never won that much in a 20-40 game.

During the day, the 30 game is easiest in the morning and tends to get tougher with the early afternoon players. The 40 game, in my judgment, is actually an easier game, but of course your swings will be larger due to A) the larger stakes and B) the looser players. And sometimes there are some very tough players in the 40 waiting for the 80 game to start. But in general, it seems to me a softer game than the 30.

There is a much bigger difference between the 30 game and the 20 than between the 20 game and the 15. There are a lot of very aggressive players at the 30 level and higher, and a lot more sophisticated players. It's 3 bets pre-flop a much greater portion of the time in the 30, and those loose call, call, callers are less abundant. The turn is particularly aggressive compared to the 20. A much smaller percentage of the players chop too, so you've got to be a better head-up player as well.

Keep in mind I rarely play more than twice a week and I rarely play more than 4 hours at a time, so you shouldn't take what I'm saying here as gospel.

Maybe someone else can verify/correct my impressions.

Why not take a shot for one rack of brown chips in the 30 and see what you think of the game? There's no requirement that you stay there is you prefer to go back to the 20. You might look for some of the weaker 20 players who are playing in the 30 and then follow them. Of course, there are frequently must move games, so there's no guarantee you'll get into the correct game.

[I remember I once was stuck 2 racks in the 15 without winning one pot and noticed, in the 20 game, a player I thought was the biggest fish I had ever seen. So I went to the 20 and after 10 minutes I realized I had the wrong guy. The game was in actuality far tougher than the 15 I had left. So of course I won 3 racks in 2 hours.]

Good luck, Mike.