View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: bankroll question

[ QUOTE ]
More of a psychological thing, IMHO. Nothing is worse after a 100 BB downswing to than to realized that over half your roll is in play when you sit down to 4 tables. Whereas, in theory, multitabling should bring variance quicker, there is a learning curve to going from 1 table to 4 or even 2 to 4. My 500 BB suggestion is from personal experience with several sizable downswings due to a combination of cold cards and playing too timidly because of fear i was going to go broke after a prolonged streak. Since it seems our question asker is a newer player (i'm assuming here), I simply suggest that he give himself a larger cushion.

[/ QUOTE ]

But ah u see there's the rub.

1.If you are worried about your roll, jump down a limit.
2.Downswing or no, you still got to play your best otherwise if u let it really really affect your game, it doesnt matter how much the BR is before its gone.
3.If you are still learning limit, stick to the micros till u have a good grasp of things (seriously, cheapest way to apply concepts to your game and learn) -- u should not start playing at 2/4 and up, especially with online poker, theres no reason to throw tons of money away now.

Example: I now play 3/6-5/10 when I started playing I put in 50 bucks on Stars last october and promptly went up and down with it, blew the last of it on rebuy tournies, left .95 cents in my account. Learned to play elsewhere, came back .95 was still there, so I got the grand idea to build up a PS BR from nothing. 3 weeks in Im at 69.54 so far over about 3000 hands. Where before I had no clue what i was doing, I couldnt sustain any sort of profit, now Im crushing the game, still hit downswings, but nothing that cant be handled (especially at .05/.10) -- anyway Im moving up once I have 300BB for each of the next levels. Getting it to 1000, then from there to 20,000. See how it goes.