View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 04:39 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Snakes on a Plane

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this isn't just for you. I think it's something that'll help everyone. you'd be amazed how much time I spend sitting in front of excel figuring out hands like this to sharpen my instincts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post Josh.. Perhaps you could elaborate on what you do away from the table in front of Excel, using this hand as an example?

[/ QUOTE ]

after I fail my midterm tomorrow, but I'm sure you know what I mean here. make a range of hands, figure out your outs vs each, the number of combos, make some judgment weights for the combos, then do an EV calc. here I'd guess that it's significantly -EV to call, which is really nice to know in a situation that you think is close. the nice thing about excel is you can tweak the numbers. you can also see the factors that most affect the EV. one thing I learned from doing these is just how much only having 2 outs affects you when you have a pocket pair and aren't sure what do to.