View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Finding rhythm in the madness (a theory)

Look i understand how it works.... playing tight aggressive.. get the chips in with the better cards.... but by doing this you are also depending on a good flop.... Example .. you have AQ you come in for a 3 or 4 big blind raise.. you get 4 callers.. the flop comes down 7 9 2... You bet out on a bluff maybe 75-100% of the pot... you get called by 1 player the next card comes 2... now where are you... you've drained a quarter of your stack by now.. and you still havn't gotten any closer to winning this pot.... most players will check fold on the turn in this spot.... but the only reason you had to throw the bluff out was becuase the pot was so substantial that it was worth taking a stab at it ..regardless if you missed your flop or not... I'm not saying that im "joining them" in there newbie fest .. i'm strictly talking preflop... its easier to get in a see a cheap flop. I find raising doesn't do anything... Most of the ten dollar games i have played have been substantially weak passive play... Where you can almost always see a flop for 1 bet.... i just find that its much easier to see the flop and play from there instead of trying to muscle them around preflop. I've tried both ways and have found more success in not raising as much preflop.... I can't tell you the number of times .. I have raised AQ just to see a J high flop with someone holding J10o etc... by raising preflop you are depending that much more on a good flop.... your building a pot up but your only going to win it if you hit a better flop then your 4+ opponents that call your raise..... believe me i feel alot better about abandoning a hand with only 1 bet out there then 6 or 7 ..... it just makes more sense to me..