Thread: Poorly Played?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Poorly Played?

Actually, I don't think we disagree as much as it might seem. All I am saying is that routinely planning to checkraise on the turn when you flop a straight draw should not be your default play. I think you'll agree with that.

On this hand, Kevin had checkraised the flop and the other guy called. Kevin then picks up a flush draw to go with his straight draw but the board pairs. Trying for another checkraise here is not very good IMO because the guy might just check back and then call you with Ace high on the river i.e. checking the turn may deprive you of the opportunity to see him fold. I appreciate what you said elsewhere about how having the action checked through can be a boon because Kevin has nothing for a hand. But that's only half the story. In most situations, Kevin has the playing advantage on the turn given the flop action. Checking is bad not because you can give a free card in the traditional sense but because you take the foot off the gas when you have an opportunity to take the pot with a simple bet.