View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: pot odds and raising on the turn

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question on pot odds and when it is OK to raise.

This is the hand that sparked the question:

I'm playing a 10 player limit ring game. I'm Cut Off Man and get delt Ah Ks. There are four callers when it gets around to me. I raise, and the Dealer folds. One of the callers also folds but the other three call.

The Flop comes 4h Th 8h.

The first player bets and the other two call. Now it's to me with 12 small bets in the pot. I raise.

Was this a mistake here?

Turn comes 3s. First player bets and the other two call.

Should I call or should I raise?

Anyway, I raise and all three other players call.

River came 2d. No flush for me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] First player checked, the next folded and the guy to my left bet.

My only question was calculating the pot odds based on a raise rather than a call. Was that a mistake or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

As for the question raising the flop is a no brainer because of your equity (you will make your flush ~33% of the time and thus ever bet put in the pot is effectively 1/3 is yours). Come the turn calling and raising have about the same EV given that 3 others are still in the hand and there is a chance that your over cards might be good and thus an ace or a king on the river will make you the best hand.

Basically you played the hand fine and you just happened not to hit on the river; [censored] happens get over it. Next time try and not make your post so dramatic, just cut to the details important to the hand in question.