View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: calculating the equity in Drew\'s Article (More Reading Hands)

For calculations like these, you're going to need the assistance of a computer program. I generally use Poker Calculater, although another common one is twodimes.net. What you'll do is select a range of hands for your opponent, and use it to calculate your EV. You then repeat the process for each range of hands, and weight each separate range according to how likely you think it is they have that specific range.

For example, if you think your opponent has x type of hand 90% of the time and y type of hand 10% of the time, then you do an EV calc for each type and plug that into the following equation:
.9x + .1y = Overall EV

Of course you won't be able to do this kind of math at the table, but taking situations like these and going through the numbers away from the table makes you more able to make these kinds of decisions at the table.

To use the hand in question as an example, I'm guessing calling down is going to be costing UTG about 2BBs - assuming he never faces another raise (often not true anyway). I might decide to actually run some numbers on this hand, but I'm not sure.

Do you guys think there enough question about how to calc equity in these kinds of situations that an article should be dedicated specifically to that?