View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Having to regroup..suggestions..advice...motivational words...

I've had a few up- and downswings at both 5/10 and 10/20 of 200 BBs in less than 2k hands. I've had bigger too but in bigger timeframes. You can burn through 2-300 BBs quite fast in SH and 200 BBs really isn't much. I'm sure others in here can show you some horrible graphs of their greatest downswings but I'm at my day-job so I have nada [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

One of the many things I do wrong when I am on a downswing that is getting under my skin is I usually find myself doing machinelike betting into people way too much or I get overaggressive. When my A-something don't hit anything for the 20th time in a row and when JsJd see a AhKh5h flop for the 50th and I still keep going bet-bet-bet into my call-call-calling opponents, that's when I know I need to rethink what I'm doing.

Other than that it's the standard anti-tilt-stuff. If you're into exercise that usually helps me out a lot, jogging is good for me because it takes a bit of time and it really clears my head with the fresh air and all. When I get too tired while running I think of poker hands to help me keep my mind off wanting to give up. Before I know it I want to play poker again and I start sprinting home...

I am horribly results-oriented so I usually like to take a look at my winnings, graphs etc for confidence.

I also sometimes play at a higher limit that usual when I feel that my play starts to suffer from being on a downswing but that's probably not the best advice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I usually do it because I know it helps me focus more.