View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 AM

Default great, now i\'m the a-hole boyfriend

so my girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to host a small friendly poker tournament after finding out a few of her friends have played before. i thought it was a good idea. she has never played before. she has just watched me so i figured she would be by far the worst one. since this was suppose to be friendly, i thought no big deal. there were 7 people and we all decided that the buy-in should be $10, with $50 going to 1st place and $20 going to second. so far so good. then things got quite intersting. as i was dividing out the chips, EVERYONE tried to tell me that we should have $10 in chips because thats what the buy-in was. and the blinds should be .25/.50. as hard as i tried, and as friendly as possible, i could not get anyone to understand that having that few chips wouldn't be any fun at all because you wouldn't have any room to bet. i mean that is only 20 times the blinds. no matter how hard i tried, they did not get it. i tried to explain that the buy-in has nothing to do with the chips and that we could have $1,000 in chips and it still wouldn't matter. nobody got it. so after several minutes of this, they finally agreed to starting with $20 in chips to "make me happy". well, it didn't stop there. i think it was the first hand that i saw someone bet $1 into a $15 pot only to have someone else raise it up to $1.25. huh? i thought these people had played before??? needless to say, since these were my girlfriend's friends, i didn't say another word all night. i just let it go and tried to have fun and keep the game as friendly as possible. however, apparently one of her friend's called her the next day and said i was a total [censored] about the starting chips. i couldn't believe it. oh well, next time they can play however they want.