View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Want a new (HD)TV, Budget = $1,500-2,000

I have a 42" Sony HD LCD and I am VERY VERY VERY VERY happy with it. I am also in an apartment, and I'm about 5-6 feet away from it on the couch. It is AWESOME in Hi-Definition, everything from sports to regular prime time programming.

The only negative is that standard definition just sucks. I don't know if it's because Hi-Def stuff is just so awesome, but it really sucks to go from Hi-Def to regular programming. I also don't know if you're going to have that with EVERY Hi-Def set or not, but I have read in other "research" that LCDs are particularly bad for that.

As for cost - I bought mine at the beginning of the year when they were listed at $2300. Talked down Circuit City to $2050. DEFINITELY NEGOTIATE with this type of large purchase. I believe they're listed at like $1900 now, so I'd suspect you can pick them up for $1700 or so?

The only thing I'd caution is to be careful of the extras. I have DirecTV, so it was a couple hundred extra for the Hi-Def receiver. I had to buy an antenna to get Hi-Def locals, and that was like $50. If you're a TIVO guy, their Hi-Def box is extra. You WANT the good cables when you go to hook everything up, and they're expensive (I spent $75 each on cables to hook up my Hi-Def box and my PS2).

The other "extra" with LCDs is that the bulbs burn out. And they're a couple hundred bucks each. I bought the Circuit City service plan, which has unlimited bulb replacement for 3 years.

In summary, I LOVE my TV - you'd be very happy with a 42" in that "small" of a space, and the picture on my Sony LCD is AMAZING.

No matter what you go with though - consider the extras. They add up REALLY fast.