View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Your Diet and Nutrition

Nutrition can be a lot like relgion and politics. So I will start of by admitting that I am biased. I am a survival/primitive skills instructor and make a lot of my decisions about diet (and other things) based on human evolutionary history. Things that have been around for a couple hundred years or less are highly suspect (White flour and white sugar) for me.

I tend away from factory processed foods such as soy products like soymilk (already discussed by Cosmo- I agree with most if not all of what Cosmo has said) and towards naturally processed food (usually fermented) yogurt for example. It is very difficult to get raw milk products (unpasturized) but that is what I get when possible.

I eat wild meat or meat raised by people I know,or sometimes settle for organic meat from the store- Almost all the products I buy are organic.

When I am not lazy I like to sprout or ferment grain products as raw grains have digestion-inhibiting enzymes.

NO hydrogenated oils- like Crisco or margarine

The best book in this vein that I have read is "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon.

It is very difficult to eat this type of diet in an urban area- you need access to wild areas and friends who raise animals/vegetables/fruit or a place to do it yourself. One of the many reasons I can't spend too much time in an urban area.