View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: value betting? (they never call!!!!)

[ QUOTE ]

I had 98 in the big blind. Flop: J74r. Someone made a minimum bet, there was a call from late position, and I overcalled. Turn: 5, making a flush draw possible. Again, there was a minimum bet, a call, and I overcalled. River: 6, no flush possible, putting 4 to a straight on the board and giving me the nut straight. I didn't think anyone with a 3 would stay in, but anyone with an 8 would call any amount, but might not raise. I didn't think anyone had a decent hand on the turn or else they would have protected their hand from the flush draw. I open-pushed for 3 times the pot, and was called by the minbettor who had 87.

[/ QUOTE ]
By the way, this line wasn't optimal. Since someone with an 8 would almost certainly bet, then call a check-raise all-in, and I'll rarely get called by someone without an 8, but someone without an 8 might bet, it would have been better to check-raise all-in instead of pushing. The point was that you can sometimes make large value bets, while sometimes you have to make very small value bets.