View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Strange WPT Blurring

to my knowledge the dot-net just takes you to a lobby with juust the play-money tables only.

naturally many of the people who see the ads will go to dot-com instead because so many people are used to typing dot-com at the end of the websites.

and those who do go to dot-net sites likely get all kinds of e-mails telling them about a first-deposit bonus over at the dot-com site.

I find the whole dot-net wave of advertising somewhat amusing.

If the dot-com ads ARE illegal (or just not a good idea) then the dot-net ads probably are also.

It would be like Camel Cigarettes running TV ads for their new product Camel Coffee with the same logo and everything.

Cigarette advertising on TV and radio has been illegal in the U.S. since about 1972 i believe. But if Camel wanted to produce a product that is legal to advertise on TV, such as coffee, they certainly wouldn't be able to get away with it. using the same name and logo would be construed as trying to 'get around' the law prohibiting them from advertising their cigarettes via those outlets...and that the TRUE purpose of producing Camel coffee (and keeping the same name/logo) is to give additional exposure to the cigarette brand.

However....the whole dot-net thing DOES help the TV and radio stations comfortability level. If there ARE problems about it in the future then the TV and radio stations can always fall back on the old "well....we are only accepting ads for play-money sites and we have disclaimers that say 'not a gambling site.' We would certainly NEVER want to accept ads that promote any kind of illegal off-shore gambling site Mr. Senator."

something like that anyway.