View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Re: I\'m not sure what this means

Simple answer, no.

I'd also be interested in anyone who has put some really good research into it. I guess its not like SNGs either in the way you can really dedicate yourself to a level. I think most of us just jump in whatever is available, and thats a problem because to really study it you need to look at the same buyin results. Your ROI could change so much after just 1 event, just for example MLG on Sunday; I would not even like to guess how much his ROI jumped up after his great win. The other thing is that a losing player could have a great deal of luck and hit a huge score in a big tournament and look like a big winner for years.

As your long term MTT performance will be focused around the big wins, whether you get your buyin back in a tournament is not of great importance long term. The fact that these big wins are increasingly rare the more people in the tournament, makes the sample necessary larger and larger.

I think you'd need to win a specific tournament 50 times to iron out a lot of the variance. I'm thinking 10000+ tournaments is often necessary, depending on the size and your edge of course. I just don't realistically see long run data existing for MTTs.