View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: why not limp all pairs utg?

[ QUOTE ]
It's often advised to only play like 88+ utg, or something like that. Why not play all pairs in these games? I love it when someone raises behind, I call a little raise and flop my set. Sets play fine out of position, so being utg is not really a problem, without a set I fold the flop. At low-stakes it's very rare that there's a big raise or more than one raise, so if you limp for $1 you can usually call $2 or $3 if it's raised at all preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 5/10, as formulated by Ciaffone, only applies when you have position on the PF raiser. UTG, you will only have position if the PF raise comes from the SB or the BB. Being out of position actually does impact your ability to get your opponent's stack in. It's harder to build a pot, your best weapon (the C/R) so obviously screams strong hand that an overpair can get away relatively cheap, leading into a PF raiser allows overcards to get away cheap, while checking allows him to check behind, etc. I think small PP do lose some implied odds by being OOP. That being said, I also will limp all PP UTG almost 100% of the time.