View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Open pushing in later stages

[ QUOTE ]
Without antes, an M of 13 is almost 20xBB. Pushing when you are that deep is rarely very profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with some of this. I think the discussion was around an M of 10. Now, depending on the structure (read: does the site have antes, if so how big are they at this level?) ~10M can be anywhere from 15BBs (100/200 no antes with 3000 chips) to it's worst (the 100/200 25 ante level on stars where it would be 5250 chips at a full table) 25+ BBs. I think thinking of your stack in only terms of the big blind is flawed. I also think thinking of your stack purely in terms of M is flawed. You should be thinking about the pot size in relation to your stack, the amount a standard raise will take away from your stack (in addition to what size your standard raise should be), as well as how the size of the pot post flop is going to impact your continuation and/or value bets on future streets. Using all of this information combined you can then formulat a plan on how to best play a given hand. This doesn't really just apply to ~10M either, this should be a part of your thought process at every phase of the tournament, as it can have an impact on your decisions on all streets with any stack size.

-Rizen