View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Flopping the underboat against a short stack.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No background information necessary. I put the villain squarely on trip aces. Here's the hand:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

UTG ($534.80)
MP ($155.40)
Hero ($731.80)
Button ($1332.70)
SB ($408.50)
BB ($389.70)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $6.

Flop: ($36) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $35.

Turn: ($106) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero pushes</font>, MP calls $110.40.

River: ($323.80) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $323.80

It turns out that villain did in fact have AJo for the running overboat and took down the pot. But fear not, this is not a bad beat post!

I argued with Kyo Souma II that with his stack and my read, my turn bet is far inferior to checking behind, as I will be getting stacking him 100% of the time when the river doesn't double-pair anyway. Why bother putting my money in as an 85% favorite, when I can simply take the free river card and stack 100% of the time when the river doesn't pair the 6? (Ok, he can river a jack, but still. His stack size alone means he's getting it in no matter what.)

He believes that my play is more profitable in the long run because I am getting it in as such a huge favorite. I do not disagree here; as the stacks get bigger I want to jam more and more in on the flop and turn. However I believe in this isolated case (and in others with either short stacks, or against opponents who fall in love with trips no matter what the cost) a turn check was in order.

And I'm not just saying this because I lost the hand! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Please share your opinions!

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont buy this. There is a fair amount of times when your read is wrong. His play is very similar to JJ-QQ-KK type of hands and you must take this into account. I would say that fact alone negates the reasoning of checking behind to get more good value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously weaker hands can catch up when their draw is dead. I forgot to think about this factor when i read the hand at first. Hmmm