View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: So Why is Stealing Wrong Again?

I don't think there are many good moral reasons when you consider it as a crime only between the 2 people in a vacuum. In those circumstances I think stealing might be morally wrong because it has very much in common as violence except spread over time, and is a direct attack on most people pursuit of happiness.

The real reasons it's morally wrong is because it's an attack on society. Society needs ownership in order to function. When theft is rampant, what is the point of industry.

This seems similar to the argument as why to punish someone who is guilty of a crime if they have already reformed and made up for their crimes in some way. There are other valid reasons for punishment, almost all of them have to deal with how not punishing this person affects society im similar circumstances.

If this question is changed to a world where these 3 are the only ones alive, I wonder if it would become morally wrong not to steal. I think the answer of that would be based on the chances of your wife dying vs the chance of your theft resulting in deadly violence between you and the druggy.