View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 08:40 AM

Default A Concept I Stumbled Upon

The concept is this: Suppose you are last to act, it's checked to you, and you know that some one has a better hand than you and will call you if you bet. It can still be correct to bet

This might be a hand where it's true:

SB ($518.30)
BB ($263)
UTG ($421)
MP ($1256.30)
CO ($400)
Hero ($512.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $4.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $4, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls $4, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20, SB folds, BB calls $20, MP folds.

Turn: ($80) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, BB calls $50, CO folds.

River: ($180) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $180

MP is 68/24/1.6
CO is 44/21/2.6/32
SB is 25/7/5.7
BB is 27/1/1.1/20

I included everyone's stats so people can comment on the prelfop limp if they want

Yeah so basically, with the flop and turn action I think the chances some one has an 8 are high.

So the theory is that if the dude with the 8 is willing to slowplay then I should build the pot so I can stack him on the river if I hit. I think if I check turn it's hard to stack him on the river. Thoughts?

Also, please say if you agree with the theory and that this is a situation for it, or if you don't agree with either, or if you agree with the theory but think this is not the spot for it

And btw, the reason I bet the turn in this hand was because, actually I don't remember why, I just remember sort of spacing out, and right after I bet I thought to myself "why the hell did I do that?" I think I thought I had the best hand or something