View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: How to “act weak”?

I think that the correct answer to this question is so obvious that I am amazed that it hasn't been posted yet.

When trying to act in such a manner to get my opponent to react how I would like I first assess how knowledegable he is about the game. If I can safely assume that he has not read any books nor played many live hands I do nothing, it is not going to make a difference anyway.

However, if I can assume that my opponent is studying me, is well read, and studies the game, but does not give me much credit as a poker player (because I am a college kid,) then I have him exactly where I want him. I know that he has read Caro and is looking for a weak means strong, strong means weak reaction *yawn.*

Therefore when I want him to call I try to act as overtly strong as possible. I forcefully slam my bet onto the felt and stare him in the eyes trying to intimidate him. He is looking for stegnth from me as a sign of weakness so I will give him as much stregnth as possible.

Against the third type of player, the 'enlightened' villain who knows about the above strategy. I do not try to really induce a call through my mannerisms. I have played heads up scenarios where I have created a 'fake tell' but that is a special case. Normally if an opponent is strong enough to know that I am trying to trick him, I won't try to trick him for fear that he will see through my act.

It is that middle type of opponent, those who give themselves too much credit and me not enough credit, who must be exploited through reverse tells.

(Also, I would reccomend picking up Caro's book of poker tells - but keep in mind that a good player will know that you have read this and will attempt to use your information against you.)

Steve