Thread: After SSHE
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: After SSHE

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In addition to the above, grab How Good is Your Limit Hold'em by Byron Jacobs. You'll be a limit stud in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had read this book before I wrote GSIH, I would have recommended it without question in my limit hold 'em section. It's excellent. Best limit hold 'em hand problems book that exists today. Its only problem is that it could/should be twice the length. But it's terrific.

I was particularly impressed because not only is the advice and thought process consistently good, but he asks the right questions. He probes the key areas where people lose most of their money, and his scoring system reflects the fact that he knows these are the most important areas.

I give it 10/10. I think the best limit hold 'em books available today are (not going to be humble about my own):

Beginner level:
Getting Started in Hold 'em by me
Winning Low Limit Hold 'em, 3rd Edition only by Lee Jones
Internet Texas Hold 'em by Matthew Hilger

Intermediate Level:
Small Stakes Hold 'em by me, David, and Mason
Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players by David and Mason
Weighing the Odds in Limit Hold 'em by King Yao
How Good is Your Limit Hold 'em by Jacobs and Brier

I think there's a large falloff after these. In fact, I think I'd recommend an aspiring limit hold 'em player to read these seven and only these seven books... at least only these seven until they've become a strongly winning player.

EDIT: Feeney's book, Inside the Poker Mind, is also excellent, but I wouldn't necessarily clasify it as a "limit hold 'em book." But an aspiring limit hold 'em player certainly should read it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]So what is your opinion on Middle Limit Hold'em Poker or Jen Harman's section? Are these bad reads or are you only considering books for small stakes? I'd also like to hear your opinion on Texas Hold'em Odds? I you can share your take on these 3 books, I'd deeply appreciate it, thank you.