Thread: Asian Players
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Asian Players

Can someone please deinfe "stereotype"? In my mind, it means a characteristic or trait that is more common in a certain type of person (race,sex, religion etc) than another person of different race, sex etc.
It may not be the dictionary definition, but I am sure that it is how most people define it. Stereotype,observed trait, whatever u want to call it, is true in most cases. If that's all u have to go by at a poker table or anywhere else in life, nothing wrong with it, as long as u don't force it on someone who happens not to have that trait that is common to their race or sex or whatever.
I don't believe ANYONE who says they don't have preconceived nothings about another person. I think it is pretty much impossible to not think anything about someone they just met. You might not act on the thoughts but it crosses ur mind to some degree. Everyday is filled with stereotypes and preconceived notions......if u see a guy on the bus in a business suit and a briefcase, u think he is some kind of business/professional person........but he may be a garbage man, who knows. If you see a teenager working at McDonalds, u think he's a student........but he may be a multi-millionaire who happens to volunteer at McDonalds......anything is possible but everybody has first impressions and there's nothing wrong with that.