View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 07:25 AM

Default home game NL hand

From our penny-ante poor-college-student home game yesterday. I debated between posting here and in micro-limit, and it ended up here b/c micro seemed to be mostly limit posts. Apologies if it ended up in the wrong spot.

Game was NLHE, $0.05/$0.10 blinds, 6-handed. Table was pretty loose-passive pre-flop (most ppl seemed to see at least 40% or more flops, lots of limping), with people tightening up on the turn. Buy-ins were $4, and villain was the chip leader sitting one spot to left of hero, who still had around $4 to villain's $8 or so.

Pre-flop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

With the usual post-flop bet being $0.25 and up, I figure I have enough implied odds to try to limp with the suited one-gap. Too loose?

Flop: ($0.50) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG checks, <font color="red"> Hero bets $0.25 </font>, CO calls, everyone else folds.

Not the best flop for my hand, but I do have top pair and a backdoor flush on a board full of low cards. CO has been raising JJ+ pre-flop, plus just calls on the flop, so I discount a pocket pair. I figure him for either JT or overcards.

Turn: ($1.00) J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> Hero bets $0.50 </font>, CO calls.

Not happy about this card; I figure I'm pretty far behind hands like JT, or J and any other paint, although CO would probably have raised pre-flop with two paints. Bet to see where I'm at, and am ready to fold to a big raise.

River: ($2.00) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> Hero bets $0.75 </font>, CO calls.

I figure I have a decent chance to push out a mediocre hand, but there are lots of hands that can beat me. Given how passively the CO has played this hand, I figure there's a good possibility that he doesn't have a great hand and that betting is worth a shot, since he'd probably bet if I checked and I'd have trouble figuring if he was bluffing into a weak check or betting a legit hand.

Results to follow. I'm pretty new to NL, so any comments on any streets would be greatly appreciated.