View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Re: 33 party - oesd on flop

Don't take any of this the wrong way, but what you're advocating is pretty much exactly opposite of my usual strategy. I'm always trying to learn though, so let me ask you a few questions:

1) I guess the first that's running through my mind is, I think that leading this flop is pretty bad, all things considered, and will get you into a bad siutation too often. Check-calling a small bet seems to be the best way to play this out, and I'd be surprised if anyone really disagrees too strenuously after a detailed analysis.

2) If you do agree that leading the flop is not as good as check-calling, don't you think that that's an argument against you or the OP completing these kind of SB hands? I feel fairly confident postflop and I don't even want to put myself into those sorts of situations. I guess the reason I do decently postflop is because I make postflop easier with preflop decisions like mucking this T9o.

3) Do you feel that "being good postflop" is enough to negate all of the inherent disadvantages of seeing a flop with this hand?

4) Being that there are very few "dream flops" for T9o do you think that it is really worth it? The way you recommend playing this really marginal flop is basically setting yourself up to win a small pot on the flop or build a large pot that you're most likely a 2:1 dog in, so I don't even think this flop can be considered "good." It's good only in that you flopped a draw of some kind at all.

5) Can you please describe the conditions under which you will typically raise preflop in the early levels of a Party 800-chipper with an unsuited (or maybe you meant suited-only) connector? You mentioned Harrington, who certainly does not recommend raising unsuited connectors and only rarely raises suited connectors, and does that only against thoughtful opponents who pay close attention to his play. Do you frequently raise with these hands or just occasionally, or what?

6) Your "2) I can take the pot on the flop when an A/K/Q hits and I lead" is interesting to me, as that seems to be pretty bad when stated like that just as a general rule. I know general rules aren't really that useful in poker, so if you don't mind posting some specific situations in which you will lead the flop with air when there is a AKQ card on it?

Anyways thanks in advance for replying if you do!