View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Low limit studplayers: is the best play in poker costing you $$

I would not characterize 2-4 as quite as loose as you do. Admittedly, I play mostly at these stakes so I could be a little defensive. 8-) Somebody else yesterday inferred that at 1/2 (I think) you see everybody call down. This is just not so.

A quick look at the stud tab in Pokerstars' main lobby shows quite clearly that 4th st rates diminish significantly per level, from the lowest to the highest stakes.

Admitting that as the stakes go up, play becomes better, and estimating that the total number of players playing 2-4 and above accounts for about 15% of all players, one would have to consider this a strong indicator that you are playing with players who are somewhere in the top 15% and they play significantly differently from those in the lower 15%. Now, I'm not trying to say play is great, I'm just trying to point out that the data indicates that the players on average play significantly different (better?) than those one could more easily characterize as loose.

Also, in my experience, there aren't that many 5-way pots at these levels. But hey, what would you call a high rate of 5-way pots?

Obviously, an extremely strong player might be able to read/manoeuver his/her way easily through a 2-4 table. But, except for some really interesting circumstances, you will rarely win large mutli-way pots at 2-4 with a pair of 5s. Maybe you could show some of the hands.

BTW, I think you might have picked a singularly soft table. (Is this Roland guy that easy to play against?)