View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: My Reason and Phillips Poll

[ QUOTE ]

to my way of thinking - that whole "Compare people you disagree with to Nazis" is the argument of a weak mind - and almost always the last refuge of a scoundral.

If it hadn't been for that I'd say let him back in, but I ain't seen him for months anyways, I can read his blog, and I don't think we're missing much if all he can do is compare moderators on a private forum to Nazis. - and mindless ones, at that - (the Hitler Youth weren't known for logical thinking)

There are people in the world to whom the argument is valid and applies, and it's not necessary in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree the whole painting your opponents as Nazi's is typically a refuge of the weak minded, I don't agree in this case. From Paul's perspective it's a perfect metaphor for his situation. The Nazi's weren't tolerant of most freedoms, and the hitler youth were used as mindless "moderators" of the party line.Of course, it's an over the top metaphor. Dynasty and Mat aren't doing their jobs mindlessly, I would actually say they clearly care about doing their jobs well and put reasonable thought into it.

But if you believe in any freedom of speech you should allow the speaker a little bit of hyperbole when he makes his points. I would prefer the moderators worry more about actual threats and foul language, than whether someone was called a Nazi or a not very smart person (can you believe my use of the word i d i o t was censored here?). It would make their jobs more defined, and hence much easier.

And the point of whether he posts regularly is really irrelevant. Would you be more wiling to ban Raymer because he doesn't post as much and is not as valuable a member anymore? Some members post infrequently, but each post is a gem. Others post regularly, and have never added anything of value.