View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 07:36 PM

Default King Yao\'s thoughts on Poker/Trading skill overlap

Quote from the about the author section of King Yao's Weighing the Odds in Hold'Em Poker...

[ QUOTE ]
After college I found the perfect job for me. A trading job at Susquehanna Partners, which actually uses Poker as part of its training program. Successfully trading derivatives on the exchange floor called for an understanding of math, assessing risk, and reading the opponents (brokers, other trader and customers). The traders often played poker after a full day of trading. It soon became clear to me that the same skill set was required in poker and derivatives trading. I was doing well at both. After eight years, I had accumulated a wide range of trading experiences. I had been a market maker in index equity options, currency options and commodity options. I was also involved with Susquehanna's proprietary hedge fund in mortgage derivatives. Looking back, my trading career was varied and interesting. I was able to go in-depth into many different fields. It was a good training ground for making money gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thoughts??