View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: after mike sexton\'s CP article....he needs to STFU

I only see two real negatives to Mike's plan.

First, if this is going to be THE WSOP Main Event, then I don't want the qualifying rounds to be super-satellites, I would want them to be events where you play down to the money or some such, and then take your chip count forward. If it's really going to be one big tournament with multiple starting sites, then you have to let people who accumulate chips take advantage of that skill. If you make it work like a regular super-sat, then as others have suggested, then you really haven't made it to the WSOP until you win your way in at the regional qualifier, and that means people who just play in the regional qualifier, but don't make it through, won't feel as if they were part of the Main Event.

Second problem is there are going to be a lot of people who might find the time to take off of work for a regional, but then not be able to make it to LV for the rest of the Main Event. And knowing this, they simply won't enter the regional event. In other words, you will lose some players. Now, obviously, you will gain more than you lose, as other folks will say I can afford to travel from Bern to Paris and play the regional event, as I won't have to fork over the big bucks and take the time for a long overseas trip unless I've already made it into the money. However, I am going to feel disappointed for those who can make it to one event or the other, but not both.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)