View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: domesticating chimps. why not

Censored,

Chimps are not very nice, period. Look at anyone who works with them for any period of time, odds are very high they are missing some fingers. Chips also like to do things like throw feces at people at spit... all the time. They aren't like dogs in that they are often 2-3 times as strong as an adult human, so it would be difficult to stop a maurading chimp. In terms of training them, they are easily trained to do simple tasks like pushing buttons, when the reward is high and immediate. But censored's dream of armies of chimps performing useful services is not very likely.

It is only wild chimps who are "in danger" of going extinct. Captive chimps actually have somewhat of an overpopulation problem in that they breed rapidly in captivity and there is no where to put them all. Chimps are highly social animals, so it would be difficult to raise a "normal" chimp in isolation. A pretty interesting book called Chimpanzee Politics could be an interesting read from you. I took some classes from the author who's a big wig in the primate research world and it was pretty interesting to me and I bore easily.

"Aragatangs" are milder, but not by much. Also, they are asian, so they have no souls and no one would be interested in them.