View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: second set (100 PLO8b)

Cooker maybe you misread the post. Hero is in BB, so the preflop call (actually a check) is obv fine. Postflop, he's then OOP, so your in-position-therefore-wait-til-turn argument doesn't make sense.

Still, I would wait until the turn to raise with this set. On that board, nearly every card that comes down is going to make a possible straight, so you're going to have to proceed with caution on this one. Just call the flop, and then get active on a nice turn (like something that pairs the board, or a Q or K). That's pretty standard procedure IMO for a middle/bottom set on a board w/ 2-to-a-low & potential wraps (or even top set on an even more draw-heavy board) when stacks are deep. If your opponent is short, then getting all-in is the right play since you're committed, and you don't want a board pair to scare some jacker away; but in this case, villain is deep so you've got to exercise restraint on the flop.

BTW, this action suggests that villain perhaps has JJ here, in which case even a nice turn would have you lose your stack. However, we're not really concerned about set over set; we just want to avoid helping our drawing opponents play their hands more correctly than they might otherwise.

About the action as it proceeded; your fold might be -EV on the flop. The only hand against which it's correct to fold is JJxx. Everything else you're priced in since you're getting around 2:1 for an all-in here. I'd probably shove my stack barring a read that this guy only moves with nuts, due to range-of-hands reasoning; plenty of players will surprise you by showing down much less than JJ here (A2xx, bottom set, worse).

Edit: actually, fk that. I'm not folding this no matter what. There's way to many hands villain could be playing that are dogs to you, even if he is a rational, tight player. If he has JJ, so be it.