View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Wilderness Survival

given that the average person knows nothing about survival in sub-tropical temperatures, and gives up easily, I'd say the longest the average person could last is about seven days.

this depends on a great deal more than just the weather, though, because most wilderness deaths occur due to psychological factors. for example is a helicopter flies overhead but it fails to see you, you will lose all hope and die in short order.

as far as the best strategies for survival, the number one is to keep an optimistic attitude. I'm serious. all the knowledge in the world will not save you if you don't think you can survive. secondly would be to find a way to stay out of the rain. hypothermia will probably be the leading cause of death among average people. thirdly I guess would be finding ways to keep warm. building fires (smokers have a huge advantage here), finding better insulation for yourself.

the greatest dangers, as said earlier, are the psychological pitfalls you will experience. and getting cold and dying.

all this is based on my limited experience as a boy scout.