View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Interesting 20-40 hand to disect (big pot)

First off, damn good post Frappe. Thats the kinda discussion I was hoping it would generate. Now my thoughts are as follows...

3rd: I should have just folded. Even if he is raising with clubs I dont have a big pot equity edge of any type. If he has aces I'm far behind. However, like I said, the 5 seat calls to the river with everything and it helps slightly. Still a fold, but I dont think its hideous.

4th: I simply called the 3-bet so I would likely be bet into, and therefore I could raise fifth. I figured if he (the ace) had clubs on 4th that he would just lead 5th street, even if he blanked, provided that I didnt cap and the 3 seat dosent catch another heart on fifth. If I cap its kinda announcing my hand and ruling out the possibility of just eights and jacks on fourth for me. At least I would assume these two players in question would realize this.

5th: Heres where I would have been able to muck aces-up if I was the 4 seat. It should be obvious to him that one, if not both of us, have trips when it comes back to him. He should have known better and made whats no doubt a tough, but correct fold. The 3 seat of course has the nuts at this point and I'm putting him on a lower set. I think I have the best hand. Thus our play seems straitforward.

6th: If the 3 or 4 seats were on flush draws they just got there. Hearts are a total rarity from all the cards exposed so far. But yet I know from past experience with the 3 seat that he wouldnt jam a 4-flush on fifth like that against this action. To tell you the truth the only reason I checked was because I thought the 4 seat made his club flush. As for my opponenets, aces-up man has to know hes likely behind here and in check-call mode. Meanwhile the 3 seat has a easy bet for now.

7th: Heres where I'm wondering what some people think about checking behind with the 3 seats hand? I think a bet is still better, but its close. He has to know by now that I/we have trips and the 4 seat also could have clubs.
Assume that we're both check-rasing if we catch, and he of course is paying it off. How much would you lose here by just checking you queen high flush behind and not risking 2-1 on getting check-raised? I know that I was check-raising if I boated up, and can almost guarantee if the 4 seat got there he was doing the same.

Mike Emery