View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: The heat is on. Fox News special review

[ QUOTE ]
We will never run out of gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. We can extract gas from coal, shale, etc. However, those processes will wreak absolute havok on our atmosphere by increasing CO2 emmissions many fold. Did you not see that in my original post?

[ QUOTE ]
Now, they might not come up with an alternative fuel. It's possible we're all screwed. But if they can't...how do you expect government to be able to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.iter.org/
solid state batteries
www.ocees.com/
http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/ert/otec...ml#development
http://www.opensourceenergy.org/txtl...f-aa653124a093

All emission free, all in gridlock. All of which are either ran/discovered by nonprofit research groups or ignored by private investors.

I could go on.

Again, my challenge of opening up a college biology/chemistry/physics textbook and counting how many novel inventions/discoveries were made by private industry vs. nonprofit groups goes unanswered.

[ QUOTE ]
People working for this "Apollo Program for Energy" won't have nearly the incentives of the private firms to come up with alternative energy - last time I checked, billions in profit was far more enticing than a pat on the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, scientists work for money and profit only. That is why Einstein, Smalley, Watson, Crick, Darwin, Madame Curie, and all of the other greatest scientist were so ungodly rich. *sarcasm* I swear, anyone that gives answers like this has absolutely no clue what drives the best scientists on the planet. Many, if not most, of these people would much rather ride a bike to work than drive a lexus. If they were so driven by wealth many NASA scientists would start managing a restaurant. Why? Because that highschool dropout often gets paid more and doesn't have to pay off school loans.