View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Need help on first three table attempt - bad preflop play ahead.

The PFR in hand 1 is obviously not something that you want to be doing every time, but it is a perfectly good thing to throw out there every so often as a change of pace. In this hand, you succeeded in buying yourself the button, which is generally worth it even with a mediocre preflop hand like QTs. Raise the river...you now have top pair heads up, and SB is probably just betting a busted spades draw anyway (if he had a strong jack or a set, he would likely have check/raised with a two-suited flop). When you flopped an overcard + the draws, I would've gone ahead and raised the flop to try and buy that free card, but I don't know if that's standard or even smart in this case...it seems like it would be to me, especially after the PFR, but there are more spades that could hurt you than good cards that help.

Hand 2: Hand 2 should be an easy preflop fold against an UTG+1 raise with no other callers yet. 3-betting the flop was just goofy with only TPMK & a couple of backdoors.

Hand 3: I'm sure someone else has said this already (I haven't read the other responses yet), but posting UTG is Bad. Calling the PFR wasn't terrible with 4 other players in it, but without position I can't imagine that it's a huge +EV play. I think you have to bet/call that river...MP2 would've capped the turn with a set, and you can't really assume that he's on AK.

EDIT: That's why it's sometimes good to read the replies first. Nevermind the bit about posting.