View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical protect hand question: raise, cold call or fold?

[ QUOTE ]
I know it is an easy raise if the flop wasn't already raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ask this question as a beginning SSHE player: how do you know this? My thinking is that if you have 8.5 outs, then it’s approximately 5:1 against hitting one of your outs on the next card. Since your raise can be matched by at most two opponents, you will get a maximum of 2:1 on your raise. Getting 2:1 on your raise when it's 5:1 against hitting one of your outs seems undesirable to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Just some hypothetical questions I thought of while reading the Protect Your Hand section of SSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t think that section applies. On p.153, it says,

[ QUOTE ]
The most costly error that you can make is to fold a hand that has a strong chance to win a large pot….Another error is almost as costly…The error is failing to protect strong hands in large, multiway pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

What strong hand did you have that you need to protect? It seems plain to me that you have a drawing hand, and your goal should be to continue as cheaply as possible if the pot odds are there. One of your opponents with a made hand needs to worry about protecting their hand from the likes of you.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember anything in there regarding a raised pot to you on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
A raised pot can either help you are hurt you when you are trying to protect your hand. If the raise comes from your left, then the players between the raiser and you will only have to call one bet, and the pot odds will most likely be there to justify a call in a large pot. However, if the raiser is to your right, then you can reraise to protect your hand, and the players to your left will face a double bet, cutting their pot odds in half, which may make folding correct.