View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 07:44 AM

Default My finest hour yet...

This hand represents the culmination of all the poker knowledge I have acquired over the past year. Enjoy.

20-40 game at Muckleshoot. Right now we are 6-handed with three poor players, a decent player, a pretty good player, and me. I am in the BB with the 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. The CO (the pretty good player) open limps. The button (a poor player) limps, the SB folds, and I check. The CO does not open-limp much... I've seen him do it once before in this shorthanded game, and he had QQ. So preflop I put him most likely on a big pair. 3-handed to the flop for 1 SB each.

Flop comes 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]. I am first to act, so I bet into my friend with the big pair because hey, I have a straight draw. The CO raises, of course. See, I told you he had a big pair. The button folds and I call.

Turn is the K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. I check and the CO checks. He's got a big pair on the flop... then checks behind when a K comes on the turn. He's too strong a player to be irrationally worried that I have a K, so that check behind probably means one thing... he has KK (and couldn't resist the urge to do something bizarre with his monster hand). So he's got a full house and I'm drawing dead. Oh well.

River is the 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. Sweet! I have a straight... and since my opponent's house is bound to be less full now than it was on the turn, I bet. My opponent raises. See, I told you he had KK. So I go into a huddle for literally about 20 seconds. This was what the discussion sounded like:

Brain: Dude, you put him on KK. KK beats you. Just call.
Ego: But I have a straight! Don't be a wuss... 3-bet.
Brain: Umm... why are you raising him when you put him on a hand that beats you?
Ego: Because I have a straight, damnit!
Brain: Fair enough.

I 3-bet. My opponent 4-bets before I can get the chips onto the felt. Now another brief huddle...

Brain: Dumbass
Ego: Well, we'd better call the 4-bet
Brain: Why?
Ego: Eh.. why not?
Brain: Fair enough.

I call, my opponent shows K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. I tap the felt and muck my hand.