View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: 2+2 Stock Trading Competition

[ QUOTE ]
The MarketWatch platform is not set up for high-frequency (ie "day") trading. It's better for holding periods of at least 1 day.

Higher-frequency trading will tend to have much higher commission and slippage costs.

If you know of a better platform, perhaps for higher-frequency trading, let us know and we can consider it for the next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume (without testing my assumption) that market orders are executed faithfully...and the problems arise (with unknown frequency) on limit orders.

You take away my ability to implement limit trades and I'm staying away from high turnover and I'm staying away from thinly traded stocks (which have a tendency to gap).

I don't know of a better platform for a competition of this type, and I appreciate the fact that you have applied the effort to setup this competition. I posted merely to help people understand that definition of "trading" in this competition is fairly narrow. You have no live feedback on implementation, limit orders are implemented sporadically and you cannot use stops. These limitations push this competition further into an imaginary context, but it can still be fun.