View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Improper odds for the fishies

This is a good question. I will try to take on a couple of the main points, and if I miss anything or was not clear anyone should feel free to follow up with a question or elaboration.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the principle here, but I do find it odd that we are dictating our own play based on what odds we are giving our opponents. I would guess that 85+ percent of the time, our opponents do not understand the odds at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is that they don't have to know it's a mistake for it to be a mistake. If a player who is relatively clueless makes a bad call, but he doesn't realize it was a bad call, it does not make it any less of a mistake objectively.

Now there are certainly times where you should raise becuase you think he might call anyhow. However, if opponents are drawing dead or almost dead it's sometimes better not to try and force them out. Even some of the worst poker players understand the difference between calling a single bet and cold calling.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else feel that we should be trying to get as much money into the pot when we have the best chance to win and not really worry about our opponents pot/implied odds when they sure as all are not? Or am I just being stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you are not being stupid at all. There are times when this actually is the best idea. There are times when it isn't. Maybe you could post some examples.

EDIT: The point of playing winning poker is to make other players make mistakes (while you don't make mistakes). Sometimes a raise or reraise can make them play correctly (folding) while a less agressive play (calling) may initiate a call they should not make. What they think is correct is irrelevant.