View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Heads Up Strategy Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are Dreamclown's opponents adjusting? It seems like this strategy can be taken advantage of by raising any 2 preflop and checking behind a good # of flops (with made hands too, of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

What does checking behind flops do to counter the strategy? Just takes the battle to the turn instead of the flop and offers another variable that can be exploited if not randomized perfectly (flop check %).

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't thought about this that much, but to help demonstrate my point, consider an opponent who NEVER checkraises the flop but is otherwise solid. If we bet the turn every time after betting the flop, then his strategy becomes respectable (especially because bets double, but ignore that), since he makes up for lost flop value on the turn, and he gets to see the turn card before making a decision. So, if we counter our opponent's strategy by checking behind the turn when we wish, then his strategy is no longer sound. It magnifies our positional advantage by allowing us to bet the flop with impunity, knowing that we'll never get checkraised and can always take a free card.

The above situation obviously differs from the one we're discussing. But, I think it shows that Dreamclown's strategy allows his opponents to raise any 2 preflop with complete impunity, since they always have the option of seeing both the flop and the turn without getting played back at. IMO, it'd be foolish to never take advantage of this.