View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Preflop hand selection when facing a raise

Lurshy - Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you use the GAP principle when determining when to call a raise PF? Meaning you need a 'premium rasing hand' in order to call a raise with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not usually.

But if I’m in a very tight game where everybody raises when they enter the action I probably do. Someone entering the action with a raise from early or mid position in these tight/aggressive games invariably has a very decent starting hand and one that plays well one-on-one. Others in the game tend to get out of the way, often leaving it up to the blind to defend or not. In these games someone might just call if defending the blind but would tend to make it three bets if coming in with position behind the raiser. In such a tight/aggressive game the GAP concept would apply more than in the typical ring games in which I play.

In the typical ring games in which I play, five or six people usually limp, rather than entering with a raise, the small blind completes, the big blind checks, and almost everyone sees the flop for one small bet. That’s sort of the norm. However, occasionally someone raises before the flop, more at some tables than others, and more from some individuals than others.

When someone does make a pre-flop raise, in one of these games, I try to establish a motive for the raise. Ideally, based on observations of past performance, I’ll be able to estimate the range of hands of the raiser, but often it’s hard to know for sure. Then the plan is to proceed or not depending on:
• my own cards,
• the table image I want to establish,
• the motive of the raiser if I can assess one,
• the range of hands I think likely for the raiser if I can tentatively put the raiser on a range of hands,
• the position of the raiser,
• my own position,
• how I think my other opponents will react to the raise on the current betting round (will they re-raise, call, fold - and then what will happen?).
• what I think the effect of the raise will be on my other opponents in future betting rounds. (Will they be more or less likely to chase?)

I realize that is all very vague and nebulous.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides the GAP principle, I also try to determine the likelyhood that it will be re-popped. If I am closing out the action or close to closing out the action, I am more likely to call than if there are 6 more people to act after I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. I agree those factors merit consideration.

I'm not dishing the GAP concept or tight play. And I do tend to play tighter myself in some games with more pre-flop raising than normal. It just depends on who is doing the raising and why - and on how the rest of the table is reacting to pre-flop raises - and that depends on various factors, including who and why.

Just my opinion.

Buzz