View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Stud vs Hold Em (My Theory)

Danny has said this for years. Moss, like Negreanu, was primarily a HE player.

I am certainly no expert, but I have a lot of theories, and most of them are correct. Just as a good Stud player doesn't equal a good HE player, a great theorist doesn't equal a great poker player.

Stud is the type of game that will teach patience. It will teach a certain type of memory consciousness and a good ability to read hands, as well as people skills. How many fights break out in a Stud game? Not many. No, I'm not talking about since the HE boom, either. I remember back when AC was almost all Stud, and still, the fights broke out at the HE tables.

As we progress, yes, reading hands at Stud is easier than reading hands at HE. Is it solely because of exposed cards? No, not solely, although that is a great benefit to us. We have progressed.

As the stakes get higher, the pots become important enough to buy jewelry or a car, psychology starts to figure into the game more. Sheer aggression, the willingness to make the third bluff is a factor. The advantages of a closed handed game are obvious. You will see a ton of middle/higher limit games of HE, but not many of Stud (I'm talking 100/200 and higher).

Then there is the highest echelon. And what is played? Rarely HE, the biggest mix is:

[ QUOTE ]
No-limit Deuce-to-Seven single draw
No-limit Hold’em
Pot-limit Omaha
No-Limit Ace-to-Five single draw

$4000-$8000 limit games:

Omaha Eight-or-Better
Seven-Stud High
Seven-Stud Eight-or-Better
Deuce-to-Seven Triple Draw
Limit Hold’em
and occasionally Razz

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is taken directly from Barry's website. And yes, he admits that Ted is one of the winners in the "big game." And third, Ted's best games are Stud games (Stud, Stud 8, Razz). If you think there is nothing to what I'm saying, then pity you.

Daniel is NOT one of the players, nor one of the winners in the big game. Do I see a coincidence? Yes.

Like Howard Lederer has asserted, " Specialize at your Peril ."

Amen.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

"Any game where there's more decisions to make is a more skillful game. If someone can master stud, then they can master any poker game."--Chip Reese

"Seven Card Stud is the most skillful game to play correctly."--Page 28, Sklansky on Poker

"Seven Card Stud is clearly the most difficult game."--Page 29, Sklansky on Poker