View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: $22 You make this C-bet?

First of all I reraise bigger preflop, probably to like 250. But anyway yeah, a CB here is good, as the king high flop hits a high % of raising hands and he'll likely fold unless he has a king himself.

However I bet smaller on the flop, 200-225. First of all this keeps the pot quite a bit smaller. When your bet is called, the pot is equal to your stack, which is going to make things tough on you. Basically making a mistake here would be really bad - folding the best hand is horrible, and getting stacked is as well. The problem is somewhat lessened by the fact that you still have a deep stack...but you should at least understand that making an error here is quite bad. Finally, this may seem to contradict my first bit of advice about raising more preflop (because then you end up with a big pot anyway), but the difference is that you're almost certainly a favorite preflop and should be happy to get some money in. You should be more inclined to play small pots when you're unsure of where you stand, and either fold or commit chips when you're pretty sure of where you are (folding when you think you're behind, putting chips in when you think you're ahead, of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). Finally (again), a smaller bet here will often get a call from a hand like JJ or TT that might often fold to the larger bet you made. The larger bet allows your opponent to play pretty easily, check-raising hard with AK or folding anything smaller. So you've allowed him to play perfectly when there are a lot of (your) chips in the middle.

If he calls here, his range of hands is probably AK/JJ/TT, maybe a lower PP if he's aggro preflop. He almost certainly would have reraised AA/KK preflop, and you have two of the queens so it's obviously unlikely he holds the other ones. I would check behind on the turn, and then call a smallish bet on the river, or make a VB of my own if checked to, because the turn check will soften him up for a call with a hand that you beat that he would have otherwise folded to continued pressure on the turn.

Hopefully this has made some sense. It's a bit rambly, but my excuse is that it's really early and my burps still taste like Heineken.