View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: WSOP Hachem JJ Hand

A lot of people are talking about maximizing eliminating Barch, and others are talknig about maximizing winning the tournament. Most aren't realizing that you should try to maximize both. The best way to do this, in my opinion, is to flat call preflop, with the intention of betting the flop if it is benign.

I think the hand range for Dannenman is pretty good. He either has a pocket pair or two high cards. In the case where he has two high cards, you want him in preflop so that if a bunch of overcards hits, he will win versus the range of hands that Barch has. Your hand (JJ), while very good, is vulnerable once the flop hits. The chances of an overcard coming out are well over 50% (i think the real number is close to 60% but i'm not positive). You want Dannenman in to catch those flops to maximize Barch getting eliminated. once the flop comes 10 high and its checked to you, i think its very important at this point to bet to maximize your chances of winning this pot. Your JJ hand is now much stronger than it was preflop, now that you have an overpair and the chances of an overcard coming are greatly reduced, so you have to take the lead and get Dannenman out of the hand.

I think one of the key situations you were hoping for preflop was that Dannenman had a dominating hand over Barch (like AQ or AK). Now that you feel that this flop didn't help Dannenman or Barch, you need to get him out of the hand so you can maximize your chances of winning the hand. You don't want to see a Q or K on the turn, and you especially don't want to see an ace, and you can't let Dannenman see that turn card (or river card for that matter) for free.