View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: College Football Coach of the Year Debate

Gary Patterson has done a terrific job with this TCU team. Save for one night of Tye Gunn's career which was atrocious, causing the Frogs to lose that laugher in Dallas against SMU, this is an undefeated team. They're only the second team to win in Norman since Bob Stoops took over. They convincingly ran the table in the Mountain West. Patterson turned a defense that was last in the nation vs. the pass last year (and near the bottom overall) into a defense that leads the nation in takeaways and that no one has scored a touchdown against in more than eight quarters.

That said, I seriously hope he does not win COTY. Being a wildly successful coach and a K-State alum, he's already thought to be first in line for that job, and I don't want him to go. If TCU loses Patterson, it'll be the second successful coach lost by the program in five years (Fran was the last one), and it will cement the permanent inequity against non-BCS-conference teams.

"If you DARE to become good enough to compete with the big boys, one of the big boys will simply steal your coach and you'll have to start over."

For that reason, I hope someone else wins even though I think Gary makes an excellent candidate every bit as deserving as Weis or Brown.