View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: New to SNG\'s, question on pre-flop play.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've always followed the 5-10% rule, where it's ok to play any speculative hand for less than 5% of your stack, never more than 10%, and inbetween is at your discretion.

[/ QUOTE ]

That has never been posted at all. It has been posted about small pairs, but even then it is not just your stack but that of your opponent's that counts, too. Plus the fact that when you hit, you have to stack them a very large % of the time to make it profitable. But calling 5-10% with stuff like QJs? No, that is not what it is about at all. Where you got that idea from I'm really not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is frequently posted in the NL forums in regards to calling raises (and true, mostly about pp's) - but this is a bad idea in SNG's with shallow stacks and rising blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, as someone mentioned, do not let a good thing pass when you are in position. I have been ITM numerous times because of a good position gamble with LP or suited connectors. An early double-up affords too much breathing room to be taken lightly. This changes, IMO, once we get past level II.