View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Take a shot? T7s

It's funny, but I have found myself initially playing in exactly the style Our House describes at the 10/20, much to my detriment. Not the ridiculous hand reads, but the desire to try to take pots away when I miss with my marginal hands and to overplay my draws. It is very tempting to do so when I am running bad and not hitting the board often (or hitting it but making second best hands a lot). From my perspective, it feels like my aggressiveness should now get respect because I have been forced to back down lately.

But realistically, the other people aren't paying attention and just want to out-aggress you. The game, in some respect, is still as easy as wait for big hands and pound them (though you have to adjust what "big hand" means especially SH and take into account the board texture more carefully). The way the middle limit SH hold 'em games play on party, the key is not trying to steal little pots here and there anymore than you naturally get with continuation bets; the key is just value-betting the heck out of your good hands.

Here's a hand from memory from the other night:
I raise UTG+1 in a 6 handed game (10/20) and I am called by the BB. Flop comes AQ9r. He bets, I raise, he calls. Turn is J. He checks, I bet, he calls. River is a K (no flush). He checks, I bet, he calls. I have AK, he has 97.