View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Let’s take a few minutes on the couch.

I thought it might help to list some reasons aetheists (me) might be very frustrated by people treating religion as truth. Only a few off the top of my head, lots more have occured over a lifetime.

1) Using religion as a basis for decision making.

Can you imagin how frustating it is to try to discus something logically with someone who cites a fictional book? I'm not talking about the existence of God, I mean real issues such as politics and morality. This is one reason why I deem it a reasonable use of my time to try to talk people out of religion first.

2) Actually, thinking about it now, I think they are all variants of (1). But any situations where people use religion to get a holiday from work, be fussy with food, claim ownership of a country, etc etc.

Our food in university halls was awful. We got a choice of 2 dishes (and a vegetarian dish). Muslim students got a choice of 5 dishes (the 3 above +2 well prepared halaal curries). Non-muslims were not allowed those choices. So they had more choice and ate better than we did. In England.

That kind of bias throughout life has built up in me a resentment of our cultural acceptance of religious B.S.