View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Checking the flop with AA on the button

This came up the other day in the SS forum and I really don't understand this concept.

In HEFAP in the loose game section it is suggested that you check the flop with AA if your oppents will call the flop bet anyway. This is done to manipulate the pot so that they will be making a mathematical error on the turn when you bet.

I understand the part about manipulating the pot odds but I don't understand why you would even want to mess with this in a typical loose game. I see a lot of people in these games who would call the bet on the flop chasing something like a runner runner flush or runner runner str8 and fold to any action on the turn if they don't catch that draw. Heck I was playing 10-20 the other night and some guy called a flop bet with a 89 because there was a 7 on the board along with a K and a Q. He caught open ended on the turn with a 6 and when he folded on the river he flashed me his cards. I had to ask him why he called the flop and he said, "I had a str8 draw with the 7". There was another guy in the same game that would play any two suited cards and if one of the suit hit the flop he was seeing the turn.

In games where people will chase such long shots shouldn't you get in as many bets as possible?? Isn't this more of a play that you may try with thinking opponents that you find at the higher levels and not so much at even the 6-12/10-20 level??

Could someone please explain to me when and why this play should be made I really didn't understand it.